Tuesday, March 3, 2009

And it continues

So today I go to school to pick Ella up and the teacher comes out to tell me that Ella will not be able to participate in swim on Wednesday, because of her behavior. Talk about hitting the ceiling. Well I went in to talk to the director of the preschool and she took me to the aquatics director. Ella supposedly hit, scratched and kicked the swim teacher. She did not tell me this during our discussion yesterday and the decision to take her out of swim was made yesterday and no one called me. So now here it is a day and a half later and I am suppose to discipline Ella for during it. Is what she did o.k. absolutely not, but I would be a whole lot easier to handle had we heard about it when it happened.

I explained the whole thing from yesterday and what was explained to me was a miss communication between the swim and classroom teachers on the expectations for Ella. How that is my problem I am not sure. And that for Ella to be able to participate in swim and to be expected to follow the rules she would need one on one attention. Their goal was to provide a safe environment for swim and teach the lessons. If that meant that Ella was not involved and was off doing her own thing then as long as she was safe they were happy. I found it very odd for a school program that prides itself on making well rounded children that during a portion of their day they do not care what they are doing as long as they are safe.

I explained to the aquatics director that Ella is very smart and that it would not take her long to figure out that if I do something wrong then I do not have to participate in swim. That would just make her day. I think taking her out is a wrong decision. The aquatics director said that he would talk to the swim teacher and the others and would call me to let me know if Ella could swim tomorrow. I explained to him that I would need to know by this afternoon so that I could then try to explain to Ella why she was not able to participate in swim.

Well I got a call back and Ella will be going to swim tomorrow, because the aquatics director was able to find some one to work with her one on one. However we would need to have a meeting to discuss what is to happen from here. I told him that both my husband and I would want to be there and anytime was good for us and to just let us know. So the saga of the involved parent continues.

No comments: